Friday 30 January 2015

Book Review - The Three

The ThreeThe Three by Sarah Lotz
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

While I really enjoyed the style of this book, and the slowly-developing, fascinating characters, I was left with a bit of a let down at the end. As I read, my mind went from "Wow, totally a five star book!!!" to "Uhhhhhhh okay, so still pretty good four star material...." to "Yeah, whatever. Three stars. Why did I think this was awesome again?"

Here's the thing: The Three has a fantastic, interesting, scary premise. When I first started reading I was reminded of The Strain, in the best of ways. I was excited, I was nervous for the characters, I thought that there was going to be a big scary payoff in the end.

Except that payoff never came. It just sort of ran out of steam, like a car that runs out of gas, putters a little while, then slowly eeks it's way off the road into the bushes, bending some stems instead of really breaking any. All that after you thought you were watching the Indy 500 and were expecting fire and explosions and exciting stuff. I was disappointed. And it had such promise, too.

That said, it is well-written. The characters, as I mentioned above, are really interesting. The prose is solid. It just doesn't have that oomph I thought it would.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment