Saturday 24 January 2015

Book Review - These Broken Stars

These Broken Stars (Starbound, #1)These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I was clued in to the fact that this is as much (if not more) YA romance than sci-fi before I started reading thanks to the great review a friend of mine did of this book. Check out Emily May's take on the title here. She writes excellent reviews. However, I persisted on, not because I like romance so much - it's one of my least favourite genres - but because I'd been on a waiting list for it at the library and it had already arrived. So I figured I'd give it a shot.

And I'm glad that I did.

There is romance in this book, for certain, but it's not sappy tropey romance. Yeah, there were times I wanted to give each of the characters a smack, but that has more to do with the fact that they are (well-written and therefore) clueless, bad-decision-making, not-good-at-relationships teenagers. Normal kids, in other words.

There was potential for a lot more fun world-building here that would have rounded off the book a lot more for me, and because I like that sort of stuff, would have bumped it into five star range. But as it stands, I found it to be fun and entertaining, with well-developed characters and an interesting storyline with a few cool twists to it.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment