Monday 30 July 2012

Book Review - Sanctus

SanctusSanctus by Simon Toyne
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

If you're a fan of international religious suspense intrigue a'la Dan Brown's DaVinci Code books or the Genesis Project books, you're going to love Sanctus by Simon Toyne.

I received a copy of the second book in this series - The Key - from GoodReads and decided after the first page that I really wanted to read this book first. It seemed less stand-alone than the Dan Brown books and, besides, I was really interested in the background of the story.

I'm so glad that I did. This book is a fabulous ride, full of intrigue, suspense, exotic locations, scary monks with guns, bizarre and unexplainable medical mysteries, explosions, a cop who is not only cool but reminds me in some ways of my husband (at least when he talks to/about his wife), and a twisty and intriguing plot that doesn't let go until the last page. And maybe not even then.

This isn't particularly a character-driven story, but there are some very relatable and fun characters here, which makes it all the more fun to root for them as time passes and the plot gets thicker and more interesting. It isn't high literature, but it isn't meant to be; it's meant to be entertaining and it does that very, very well.

I'd love to see this made into a movie. It would be fantastic in that format.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment