Friday 3 August 2012

Book Review - Fear the Worst

Fear the WorstFear the Worst by Linwood Barclay
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This book is an excellent example of the suspense genre. It is alternately exciting and moving, written with honesty and compassion and the knowledge of what it means to be a parent. It's a very good book.

What would you do if your daughter went missing? What if the people at the job she went to every day denied ever meeting her? What if your ex-wife's new boyfriend's son seemed suspiciously involved, lying to you and hiding in his bedroom on his computer for hours on end, refusing to talk about what he's doing?

Caught between an ex-wife that he still loves, a paranoid new girlfriend who sees conspiracy theories everywhere, and his daughter's friends who seem alternately helpful and annoying, all Tim wants is to bring his teenage daughter home. But the police are unhelpful, and the "security expert" that Bob - the ex-wife's boyfriend - hires seems even worse when it comes out that his expertise means he had a job as a night watchman. Tim's own investigations turn up twist after twist that seem impossible to put together.

This book shocked me with a few of the twists and turns, which is not easy to do, and kept me guessing to the end (well, except for the part where I figured out who the mastermind bad guy was in the first few chapters, LOL! But I read a lot of suspense, I'm hard to mislead). This book was a fun, fast read that kept me up late unable to put it down!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment