Monday 13 August 2012

Book Review - Autumn: Aftermath

Autumn: Aftermath (Autumn, #5)Autumn: Aftermath by David Moody
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I used to hate serial fiction. I'd get all annoyed with getting hammered with "this happened previously" which authors do, understandably, to educate people new to their series. I love that David Moody doesn't do that. Each of his books, including this one, could stand on it's own easily enough without all that pointless exposition. They have complete story arcs. They have character development, as much as you expect in an after-the-zombies apocalyptic novel anyway.

But oh my god I was so happy to see some familiar faces in this book. If you've read others in this series, you know that uncomfortable feeling when they introduce new people; are the old ones dead? Oh my god. Are they going to find their bodies? Is this going to be the community center all over again?

Okay, so you have to have read the others in this series to get that, but I think you know where I'm going here. And Autumn: Aftermath set my mind to rest in many ways. As a final book, it did the series wonderful justice by letting us peek in on our favourite bands of survivors. If it didn't highlight everyone, it at least gave you an idea where they might have ended up or how their lives are going right now. No, it didn't tie things up with a happily ever after bow - it wouldn't be a David Moody book if it did that - but it did tell us where the world of Autumn was going, what the fate of the planet might be, and it was, of course, full of action, adventure, fear, adventure and zombies.

I love zombie books. If you do too, you'll like this series. And especially Autumn: Aftermath.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment