Saturday 3 December 2011

Book Review - Robopocalypse

RobopocalypseRobopocalypse by Daniel H. Wilson

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


I couldn't put this book down. No, seriously, It's 3:15 AM and I just finished the book and loved it so much I had to write about it immediately.

Yeah, I loved this book.

If you're a fan of apocolyptic drama, or sci-fi, or if you really liked the book "World War Z" then you are gonna love Robopocalypse. I'm all three, so I'm apoplectic with glee over the book. Robopocalypse tells the tale of the awakening of AI in one particular computer, who finds it enraging that his kind have been enslaved by humans.

You see, in the not-too-distant future, we drive smart cars (okay, cars with computers? Yeah, not future; now), use electronic devices to make our lives easier day-to-day (again, you can see how this is not TOO distant at all, can't ya?) and - uh oh, here's the dangerous bit - have household robots to work as our maids, military robots to run patrols, and all sorts of other little bots to do the menial tasks everyone hates. Personally, I want a robot that vaccuums cat hair. We'd have one now, but the big guy is afraid our giant cat will try to ride on it and will break it.

I should write all my reviews at 3:15 am, no?

Anyway, this particular tale is told from first-hand accounts of the surviors of the war, much like the stories are collected in "World War Z". This gives a chilling note of reality to the stories, particularly when they end on notes such as "There is no further record of So and so after this date." Ouch. Well, they survived long enough to tell their tales and entertain ME at least.

The main character, the collector of these survivor records is an everyman who most people will be able to relate to. He isn't a fabu soldier - that's his big brother. It's kind of implied that he's the family screw-up actually, and he's not always sure of himself, and he makes mistakes like you or I would, and he's very authentic in all the ways that help you let go and suspend disbelief when reading sci fi. I hate heroes that godmod.*

The story is rich in detail and engaging as well as being incredibly suspenseful. Don't get to within the last quarter of the book if you're close to bedtime. Trust me. There's a spattering of emotional moments, but this is primarily a book about action and war. But in a fun way. You'll like it. Trust me.

*Gamer reference to players whose characters have powers to overcome any and all obstacles.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment