Tuesday 29 November 2011

Book Review - A Great And Terrible Beauty

A Great and Terrible Beauty (Gemma Doyle, #1)A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


It was the title and the cover that drew me in. What an amazing title, that could lead to so many different ideas, so many different twists and turns that could lie within it's bounds.

While I enjoyed the book, it wasn't quite as epic as I thought it might be.

A Great and Terrible Beauty is a ghost story in the gothic sense, full of Colonial India, British boarding schools, dead mothers, gypsies, and hidden away secrets. There's even a shrieking maid or two and a charming spinster teacher. This is a fun read, no doubt, and is very close to a four-star rating for me, but the slightly overhanded hints that this might be the saga of a female Harry Potter type turned me off the slightest bit.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment