Wednesday 23 November 2011

Book Review - The One That I Want

The One That I WantThe One That I Want by Allison Winn Scotch

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Everyone knows what it's like to be stuck in your life like the main character, Tilly; to be living day to day, feeling like you're repeating yourself, feeling like changing anything would be as hard as wading through quicksand, feeling like it's easier to deny that anything is wrong, that anything is boring, that our plans may have been misguided.

Or maybe it's just me.

Either way, I could relate strongly to the main character in this book, though the reasoning and type of life issues that dealt to the denial and the being stuck were very different in our lives. Still, I ached for her as she dealt with her difficult marriage, her trying sibling relationships, the hearbreak of her alcoholic father and the emptiness left by the loss of her mother. When an unexpected gift of clarity leads her back to her once-intense love of photography and leads her to re-examine the life she's lived, Tilly finds that everything is not quite as she thought it was, and what she once thought was the key to her happiness might just be the quicksand itself that is holding her back from change.

You'll root for Tilly and her family as they struggle through re-making themselves, and you might see a little bit of yourself in her triumph.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment