Friday 18 November 2011

Book Review - If You Lived Here, You'd Be Home Now

If You Lived Here, You'd Be Home NowIf You Lived Here, You'd Be Home Now by Claire LaZebnik

My rating: 1 of 5 stars


I wanted to like this book more than I did, but I found it very difficult to relate to the main character. The title and the cover were what grabbed me, and - to be honest - if I'd read the blurb or the beginning of the book I probably wouldn't have chosen it.

Rickie is a 25-year-old single mom, living at home with her wealthy parents while raising her son Noah. She struggles with the fact that her parents provide her with everything she could want, including clothing, support, and free babysitting, and with the fact that her gluten-intolerant son needs a special diet and is occasionally flighty. These horrors of her terrible, tragic life are also complicated by her relationship with her brother-in-law's brother, who travels out of town frequently.

She's very put upon. As you can see, I'm terribly sympathetic. Especially since her family is incredibly accepting of how rude she is to them, despite their best efforts to smother her by buying her expensive clothes and giving her a credit card (that they pay the bill for) to use fo her personal expenses.

But hey, life can always get better! Her son Noah has an incredible new PE teacher and T-ball coach, who not only is hot and smart, but is great with kids and loves Noah, giving him special attention and helping him make friends and learn about sports - since his mom can't even be bothered to play catch with him once in a while. He does have a girl friend, but that's okay! Rickie can solve that problem too.

I think if you can relate to Rickie and her "problems" you might relate to this book. I spent my time reading it being frustrated with her and wishing she'd grow up.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment