Tuesday 26 June 2012

Book Review - Camera Obscura

Camera Obscura (The Bookman Histories, #2)Camera Obscura by Lavie Tidhar
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

While Camera Obscura takes place in a brilliantly conceived universe, it just wasn't quite my cup of tea.

This was my first "Steampunk" novel, a movement I've had a bit of a fascination with (and have the fascinator to prove it, hah) for some time, and as it came recommended highly by a friend I thought I'd give it a whirl. While the writing was good and the 'verse of the novel highly interesting, I couldn't get past the fact that I found the main character not just unsympathetic but highly annoying. She's pompous, and snotty, and far too in love with herself for my taste. Now, normally disliking a character wouldn't put me completely off a book, but I found myself hoping she'd fail, or hoping something bad would happen to her just so I could get a new main character I liked.

And, well, ... yeah. Eventually I gave up on wishing her destruction, which made me give up on the book, too.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment