Sunday 13 February 2011

Grammy Fever - Sis Boom Bah Crash....

I had a blast live blogging the Grammys for Mahalo.  Until, that is, my computer decided to have a rather girly hissy fit and puke all over the rug.  More about that later.

One of the best parts of live blogging is the interaction with others who are writing at the same time.  The expressions of horror over Nicki Minaj's dress for instance - the favourite page of mine that I was able to blog on that night - or the delight over certain winners.  (I'll admit it, I was rooting for Train and Lady Antebellum all night.  Two of my favourite songs of last year came from them).  I get a lot out of the live blogging, as well as putting in a good amount of work of course.  They have such a lovely team at Mahalo, and the immediate feedback of hearing I did a great job on a page is nicely rewarding.  I'm hoping to work on the Academy Awards at the end of this month as well, though once award show season is over, I'm guessing there won't be a whole bunch of opportunities to live blog.  Hm, I'll bet it'd really be something to live blog the Olympics - it'd be practically 24/7!

As for my computer, it's been doing this weird thing lately where it says I have no speaker hardware installed. I googled the situation, and it looked like several people had this problem not long after installing Windows 7, which I did about a month ago.  I was told to reboot, which should resolve it.  Okay, so the first time it happened, one reboot did it.  The second time, I had to reboot twice.  The third time?  Four times.  Uh oh, if it kept doubling I was going to be rebooting ridiculous amounts of times pretty soon.

At the same time, I'd been having a lot of trouble with .pdf docs and flash player items crashing my browsers, so I went ahead and updated both my adobe reader and flash player.  Thought I was all good.  Then during the grammys, everything started freaking out.  Flash was crashing.  I couldn't watch videos.  That was okay for a while, I had the coverage on my dvr that I could watch to blog on.  The browsers were crashing.  The sound was gone.  I couldn't get the computer to stay together for more than a minute or two.  After eight reboots, EIGHT, I was able to get back into Mahalo's irc and finish the page I was working on.  I thought I was all good, took another page on, and boom, crash, system error, your windows did not shut down correctly.  Gah!  I had to call it a night about an hour early.

Luckily for me, I have an in-house computer tech, who spent a few hours taking things apart, trying various options, and finally told me my sound card was toast.  At first we thought that the replacement of that would fix everything, but soon discovered it went deeper than that.

So, now I am typing to you on a new-to-me used laptop that we picked up.  It's only a couple of months old, so that's okay.  My old laptop was from 2008, and I'm well aware that technology is only meant to last a year nowadays.  But I can be back to work today, as I have sound and the ability to play videos again...

No comments:

Post a Comment