Tuesday 19 May 2015

Book Review - Fledgling

FledglingFledgling by Octavia E. Butler
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I've debated a bit on the rating of this particular book... more than I normally would. While I really enjoyed the writing, the style was clean and concise and the characters were interesting and relatable, and while I found the plot engaging, I just couldn't get past a certain squick over the idea of a character in the body of a ten year old having sex with adults.

But that's the creep factor inherent in a vampire book where someone who is 53 years old might inhabit the body of a ten year old. And it really got to me, here and there. I pushed through because I found the rest of the book so, so good, but oh god those parts really, really bothered me. Bothered me so much that at one point I felt so icky I had to go take a shower. I skipped later instances of it.

The tale begins with a young woman awakening with terrible injuries in the woods,and evolves into her own search to discover not only what happened to her, but who she is and where she comes from, as a traumatic head injury has left her with severe amnesia. The plot pays off - it's a cool mystery. But the sex? Ewwwwww.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment