Monday 28 October 2013

Book Review - Love Times Three: Our True Story of a Polygamous Marriage

Love Times Three: Our True Story of a Polygamous MarriageLove Times Three: Our True Story of a Polygamous Marriage by Joe Darger
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I requested this book from the library because I saw it billed as the true story of the family that was the inspiration for the HBO series "Big Love". I am a huge "Big Love" fan, and a few years ago started reading plenty of books on polygamy and Mormonism because the show got me fascinated with it. How could I resist?

Maybe the charm has worn off a little.

There's nothing wrong with this book, except that it's actually a little boring. The people behind it are just so ordinary; and I do understand that is the whole point of the book. They are trying to say, "Look how regular we are! We could be your neighbours!" and they're right. They are very ordinary. They had pretty ordinary courtships, albeit in plural, and have pretty ordinary marriages, where they fight sometimes and are happy sometimes and have tragedies sometimes and go to PTA meetings and parent teacher conferences and fret over buying Christmas gifts sometimes.

In other words, it's a life just like anyone might have, except there are three wives in the marriage instead of one.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment