Monday 2 January 2012

It's a new year, after all

My "year of reading dangerously" ended on a high note this past weekend when I checked in with my last couple of books. Finishing on time took some work, and some serious dedication to reading the last couple of days. 111 books in a year is a lot. Seriously.  There were points in the last year that I wondered what I was thinking, but I'm glad that I took on the challenge and pulled it off.  I learned so much, about everything from raising dogs to polygamy to the latest trends in YA fiction.

And next year, I'm not doing nearly so much.  I've resolved to make it through 60 books in the next year, five per month.  That seems more than do-able, but since I have some major changes and challeges coming up in this next year, it may be just as tough as the 111 I took in in 2011!

So, what am I taking on that is going to be so demanding?  The biggest challenge of all is one I'm not talking about just yet, so you'll have to stay tuned for details as they come, but suffice to say that it will be life-changing and wonderful.

I'm also trying to get back into a routine of writing fiction regularly again.  It's hard, when you're paid to write silly little articles, to take your other writing seriously.  Especially when you're not getting paid for it (yet, anyway).  So perhaps instead of a year of reading dangerously, I'll have a year of writing dangerously.

I think that making resolutions is setting yourself up to fail though.  There's just too much pressure to change with the flip of a switch.  When you're ready to make a decision, as someone pointed out on Facebook today, you should change then.  Other things I have read discuss how it takes thirty days to have a new behaviour become a habit, so expecting instant success because the calendar has changed is counter to reality.  We'll see what happens. 

No comments:

Post a Comment