Saturday 17 September 2011

Forever Lily: An Unexpected Mother's Journey to Adoption in China

Forever Lily: An Unexpected Mother's Journey to Adoption in ChinaForever Lily: An Unexpected Mother's Journey to Adoption in China by Beth Nonte Russell

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I wish GoodReads allowed you go give half-star ratings, because I really think this is a 3 1/2 star, not quite four book, but I'm bumping up to be magnanimous. Or something.

This is a strange little memoir about a woman who goes to China to accompany her friend, who is adopting a baby there. The friend doesn't bond with the baby, and through some legal manuevering, the author becomes the adoptive mother instead. The tale of the trip is interspersed with the author's dreams/past-life memories of her own history in China as the wife of an ancient Emporer. Huh. She has a few odd experiences which she classifies as possible hallucinations while in the country, and phones home to tell her story of meeting the baby to her friend the psychic/mystic who appears to be her life coach or advisor of some sort.

If anything, this book made me very relieved in regards to our own potential for getting approved to adopt.

It was touching in places, and I was interested in reading about the instant bond she forged with her child, from the moment they met. I also appreciated the section about how abirth parent is not necessarily the parent the universe meant for a child, that there may be a spiritual parent out there who is waiting to connect to their child. That's how I feel sometimes, so I could relate. I firmly believe our child is out there, waiting for us to find him or her.

Overall, an interesting read for anyone interested in or going through the adoption process, though a little weird for a general read.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment