Tuesday 29 January 2013

Book Review - Lies

Lies (Gone, #3)Lies by Michael Grant
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

After really loving the first couple of books in the series, I found myself almost indifferent to this one. Yes, everyone is still stuck in the FAYZ - Fallout Alley Youth Zone - under the invisible dome with the nuclear reactor at the center, where everyone over the age of 14 vanished one day, leaving kids to fend for themselves. Yes, they're still starving. Yes, they're still infighting. No, no one has made any progress on either diplomacy or finding an exit or anything else for that matter.

I just felt like there was no story progression, and I was sincerely depressed by the "stuck" quality of the main characters. While one of the major threats was removed in the last book, it appears to be back again here, which really means no progress was made. I felt, in some ways, like the plot took a step backward here instead of progressing, and I found myself less inspired to go on with the series. (As such, I'm taking a break rather than plowing through them all as I usually might do).

My overall reaction? Meh.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment