Wednesday 12 December 2012

Book Review - I've Got Your Number

I've Got Your NumberI've Got Your Number by Sophie Kinsella
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Why, hello Flavia!??

Okay, confession time here - this was an audiobook read for me. And the voice actor is the same person who narrates the Flavia De Luce series - all of which I've also listened to on audiobook. As a result, I found myself often thinking "how did Flavia grow up and get engaged and where are her sisters and-" well you get the picture. This may or may not have coloured my impressions of the book. I can't really tell.

While this was a fun, chicklit romp of a novel, I did find it to stretch it's credibility at points with me. I can understand exactly how a romance can develop, in this digital age of ours, through emails and texts. I can sort of understand how you might find a discarded cell and take control of it, at least in an emergency and at least for a few hours. What I can't understand is why the owner of that phone, when they discovered you had it, wouldn't cut off service to it. I also can't understand some of the developments later on in this book that just made me blink and go "Whaaa?"

I like Kinsella's books in general,and there are many that I consider solid, fun, five star reads. This was not one of them. There were a few plot inconsistencies, some character development that seemed totally off-base, a few bizarre twists that made me roll my eyes, and some very not-real moments. That said, there were also some genuine laugh-out-loud moments, some very witty dialogue exchanges, some interesting, quirky characters, and some down-to-earth, very real moments too.

With all that said, it left me smack in the middle of the road. I did like the book overall, but didn't love it. I would recommend it maybe as a side read, but not to someone who doesn't have a lot of time to read and wants their books to have real punch. It's okay. And sometimes that's enough.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment