Thursday 13 September 2012

Book Review - Crewel World

Crewel World (A Needlecraft Mystery, #1)Crewel World by Monica Ferris
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This was an okay read. If you know me, you know that I'm a needlecraft fiend. I even have a series of videos on youtube - check out CraftyDivaKat some time over there if you're so inclined. And so, after seeing my mom give this book a good review, along with others in the series, I thought I'd pick it up and give it a go.

Betsy is newly divorced from her cheater of a husband, and has sold all her worldly possessions to restart her life. The first step on that journey is a visit to her sister, so she makes the trek from California to Minnesota, where Margot owns a needlecraft shop called "Crewel World" in a little town outside of the twin cities. When Margot is murdered during the visit, it turns Betsy's world and her plans upside down. Not content with a police force that brushes off the crime as a burglary gone wrong, Betsy is determined to solve her sister's murder herself, and begins with the customers and employees of her sister's beloved shop.

The book was okay. I liked it; as far as cozy mysteries go this is fair enough. There were no overt problems with the writing itself, though it also didn't wow me. I liked the world of the needlecraft shop and could relate to many of the characters. I didn't, on the other hand, need lessons in what was what in that arena, so that got a little tedious sometimes. The characters were likable, but a little bit older and more stodgy than my preference usually is for reading. I'm not sure if I'll read others in the series.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment