Monday 31 October 2011

Book Review - Born in Our Hearts: Stories of Adoption

Born in Our Hearts: Stories of AdoptionBorn in Our Hearts: Stories of Adoption by Filis Casey

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


This heartwarming anthology of adoption stories made my heart ache. I desperately wanted to take so many of the children home and love them forever - I could feel the impact they made on their adoptive families, and the love between those children and the people of their forever homes shone through the pages beautifully.

The book ended with a rather startling - for me, at least - tale involving an adoptive mother and her new son having an encounter with the Dalai Lama in a botanical gardens during one of his visits to the United States. It spoke to me more deeply than many other things have and oddly felt like a kind of reassurance that we're on the right path, my husband and I, in pursuing adoption ourselves.

For those not in the know, we converted to Buddhism several years ago, and the peace, awareness, and acceptance it taught us carried us through some of the worst times in our lives with some measure of life still in us. I greatly respect the Dalai Lama and read his teachings with the devotion of an avid student, so this blessing... it said to me something more personal that it was here, in this book, on this day.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment