Saturday 5 March 2011

On Interaction

I want to take a second to say thank you, sincerely, to everyone who has commented here on my blog or on Facebook about my entries here.  There are times when I've felt a little bit like I'm tossing my words off into a great black void.  It's weird; if I don't show anyone my work - like those novels I wrote and lost in our fire before showing a soul - I don't feel nervous at all.  But it feels strange when you're writing and know it's out there somehow, that people can read it, that they might have read it.  Maybe they hated it! Oh god, maybe they think my writing reeks!  Maybe they think I'm a crazy pretentious nutcase!  No, that's only my husband and only because I do thinks like call him obdurate, and then he has to tell me he'd be offended if he knew what I was talking about.

Don't worry, I explained, and he agreed that my assessment was actually correct.

I've finished another five on my trek to read 111 books this year.  My goal to read 50 before my birthday might actually be in sight, though I have a feeling I'll fall a tiny bit short on that one.  Less than a month and a half to go and only halfway...


22. Hush: a novel White, Kate
23. The weight of silence Gudenkauf, Heather
24. Sh*t My Dad Says Halpern, Justin
25. Killer takes all Spindler, Erica

I need to not read memoirs involving child abuse any more.  Sickened had me sobbing through a great measure of the book, and feeling the need to go rescue the children in the tale and take them home and smother them with kisses and care.  I know the author is an adult, older than me as a matter of fact, but that didn't change the way my heart reacted.  No more of those for a while.

The Weight of Silence was positively wonderful, on the other hand.  It's a tale of abuse, and secrets, but is fiction so it didn't wreck my heart so horribly.  It's also full of suspense and twisty story lines to keep anyone intrigued.  The tale follows two little girls, best friends.  One has not spoken since she was four years old, due to a traumatic event she witnessed.  One reads her silent friend easily, and has become her voice.  When both mothers awake to discover their children missing one morning, vanished into the woods behind their homes, the ensuing search outs most of the family secrets they both hold. I recommend it highly.

Also, for those wondering how on earth I'm getting through so many books so fast, it's just a matter of setting priorities and choosing books over things like TV and net surfing and games and such.  Because some of the books are audio, I'll listen while I walk, clean the house, cook, work on needle craft or paper crafts and so on.  I have given up on a lot of TV, and haven't even watched one episode of American Idol this year, which will probably shock a good lot of you that've known me for a while.  Plus, I'm choosing all titles that really grab my interest, so that makes it fun.  A challenge like this shouldn't be a chore, but a blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment