Thursday 17 March 2011

Losing It

Being blessed with empathy is a mixed bag.  I'm not sure that empathy is even the right word; what I'm grateful for is understanding, a relationship that brings me immense gratitude for my own life and love for all those suffering in the world.

I've been watching much of the footage of the earthquake and tsunami in Japan.  Much of it brings me to tears, even photographs have me sobbing.  For every bit of footage of a destroyed house I can feel the horror of a family's loss.  For every terrified and sobbing relative interviewed, I can feel the ache of a parent missing a child.

Horror can be a blessing.  I say that because more than some, and less than others, of course, I can understand the pain these people are going through.  I know what it means to lose everything you have, but I also know that it can mean the opportunity for an entirely new life.

If I could say anything to the survivors of the disaster in Japan, it would be that life goes on.  It is precious because of it's delicacy, and while some losses - particularly people we loved - may seem as though they will never heal, there is always hope.  There is always the choice to step forward.  There is always someone in the world who will reach out a hand to help, and though it may be humbling at first, that love will heal you.  There is hope.  There is life.  There is beauty in the world.  There is a reason to move on.  It seems impossible when everything you've had is gone, but you have your memory, and you will have new moments to preserve.

Our boarded-up bedroom after the fire - the walls were completely gone.
I did not have to be plucked from a rooftop.  I did not have to struggle to find clean water.  I was luckier in so many ways than the survivors of this and other tragedies.  I know and appreciate this every day.  Even more, I appreciate what I do have, and those who reached out to Richard and I with love and support.  Some of you are probably here reading this blog, because many of you are on Facebook.  I think often of the ways you reached out to us, and encourage everyone to reach out, if they can, to others who are suffering.  The smallest things, like toiletries and clothing, can mean the world to someone who has nothing left.

Please support the Red Cross if you are able.  Please give and help where you can.  The people you touch will never, ever forget it.

4 comments:

  1. I agree - had to make myself stop watching footage when tears literally burst out of me when watching a video..so horrific
    Glad to see you on here deary! I will be back for your compelling writing skills!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie, you write so beautifully and I am glad to be able to say that I know you and am blessed with your writing on a monthly basis.
    I love reading your blog, don't stop, the world needs your voice.

    <3 Jess

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Katie - that picture must be so hard to look at. Such a great post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yet another good piece in support to a good cause,pl. join in my blog to read yet another
    piece on this issue at my blog under the title "Stand for Japan"
    http://pvariel.blogspot.com/2011/03/extend-your-prayerful-support-to-this.html
    Best Regards
    Philip

    ReplyDelete