Saturday 1 January 2011

The Road Here

I started writing content for sites on the Internet about four years ago.  Most of it at that point was stuff I wasn't gonna show a soul.  I had a friend in the adult industry ask me to write some content for her site.  She wanted classy content, stuff to fill up pages that otherwise would be just pictures.  I did a few pages for her, and she recommended me to others.  I worked for them, too.  Some of them paid me, some only promised to, but that's how freelancing can be sometimes.

I discovered Amazon's Mechanical Turk a little while after that.  Lo and behold, there were bunches of writing jobs - ghostwriting blog posts, penning short reviews and articles, and they paid!  I started accepting jobs I found on their site on a near-daily basis, and made a tidy little side income from it.  The nice thing I discovered, was that once I'd done a job for someone that they liked, they'd set up jobs that were just for me on the site.  For a while, I was happy, and my little nest egg for Christmas shopping grew nicely.

I stopped working for them in 2008, after going through a series of traumatic events that left me barely able to function, let alone work.  Unfortunately, when I went back, I discovered that the jobs that once paid me $7 - $10 per piece now paid $2 at most.  Some paid only a quarter.  What had happened?  I never did figure it out, unless non-native English speakers in third world countries could afford to work for only pennies per hour.  I stuck it out for a little while, trying to earn a bit of spending money at least, but only grew more and more frustrated.

I had some friends who had success writing for Squidoo and Associated Press, so they were my next stop.  I figured that a few nicely written articles would start a nice revenue stream.  Unfortunately, I discovered that writing for revenue share is definitely not for me.  I only earned pennies, which discouraged me from writing further articles.  I know the basis is sound;  you build a large portfolio of articles over time, and over time those pennies add up.  The more articles you add, the more pennies per week.  I just couldn't stand it though.  I am pretty much an instant gratification girl.  If I want that new bottle of OPI polish I have my eye on over at Shoppers, I want to write something and go buy it, not wait and count my pennies!


I knew what I needed: consistent work-for-pay writing jobs.  Did such a thing exist?  Oh yes, ladies and gentlemen, it does!

No comments:

Post a Comment