Sunday 23 January 2011

My Year of Reading Dangerously

I've decided to post these 111 in '11 updates in five-book chunks, because that seems sensible.  Plus, it's how many books I had read before posting my introduction to the topic, it's a nice round number, and it'll mean just one book goes in the last blog post for the completion of the project at the end, kind of a celebratory thing, which also makes sense to me.  I like order (I suppose this goes with being a "rules" girl as I've previously discussed) and things being all neat and tidy.  When I still had CDs (I had a big collection before the fire, not as big as our books, but pretty significant, about 300 or so) I kept them not only separated by genre, not only alphabetized within their genres, but with the genres alphabetized.  You know, Jazz comes before Musical Theatre and all that.  So this works for me.

Yeah, yeah, you're saying - so what were the next five books?  Jeeeeze, alright!  Here you go:

6. Joyride Ketchum, Jack
7. Mr. Shivers Bennett, Robert
8. Dragon bones : a novel See, Lisa
9. Mockingjay Collins, Suzanne
10. House of reckoning : a novel Saul, John

Now, I know I said I wasn't going to do reviews, but Dragon Bones was such a disappointment to me I had to say something.  I recommend Lisa See as an author all the time.  My favourite of her books - Snow Flower and the Secret Fan was my book club pick last time I got to choose because I love her so much, and I pushed through this one because I kept thinking it'd get better.  Only, it didn't.  Usually her books are driven by characters that are so compelling you can't help but keep turning pages because you care about them so much.  This time, I just didn't care.  Not about the main character, or her husband, or her dead daughter.  Not about the anthropologists, or the dead anthropologists, or anyone.  It was so incredibly dry, I was left almost angry at the author for disappointing me.



And Mockingjay made me cry. Lots. That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment