Saturday 4 May 2013

Book Review - The Walking Dead: The Road to Woodbury

The Walking Dead: The Road to Woodbury (The Governor Series, #2)The Walking Dead: The Road to Woodbury by Robert Kirkman
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

After recently finishing the first book in this prequel series of The Walking Dead, I was really excited to move onto the next; more learning about the history and motivation of characters, more in-depth analysis of the community at Woodbury and how exactly the people there became complacent to the horrors The Governor perpetrated.

Imagine my disappointment when this book turned out to be extra gory and extra violent with no real payoff in the character development department, leaving me with more questions than answers.

This book was okay. I liked some of the new characters that were introduced, but in the end I felt like it went in circles a little bit too much. Instead of introducing new conflicts with the new characters, there was much repetition and lots and lots of gory, zombie slaughtering scenes. I'm not sure if I'll go on to check out others in this series as now I just feel like I wasted a good lot of the time spent reading this.

Why then, does it get three stars instead of a lower rating? I still appreciate an intelligently written horror story. I liked the few surprises that I got, and really enjoyed the first 100 pages or so. At that point I was ready to go 4 star or higher. But the rest of the book left me so unsatisfied that I had to drop the overall rating to a 3.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment