Thursday 18 April 2013

Book Review - Subgirl

SubgirlSubgirl by Samantha Adkins
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I'll add a small disclaimer here that the author is my friend, however I have reviewed her books and those of other friends before and give unfailingly honest ratings. If a book deserves a two star review it gets it, and if it deserves a five it gets it.

I loved Subgirl.

Jordana Simkins is a bit of a prodigy. She finished university early and at just 12 years old is ready to become a substitute teacher. A cranky school board member and her own fears are the only things standing in her way... well, that and a room full of kindergarteners!

The characters in this book are a lot of fun. I adored Jordana's parents, as well as her best friend Emily. They are quirky and real and are people I'd like to know in real life. Adding to the fun are the authors choices of names for various characters, like Ms. Hairpin - it's a comical little bit of silliness that is sprinkled throughout and really makes the book charming.

The author's teaching experience is also apparent, because life in a kindergarten classroom couldn't be more accurate, including the various archetypes of five-year-old that plague teachers and parents alike - the know-it-all, the shy kid, the kid who is just a little bit lost. We've all run into them from time to time and here they are accurately portrayed, and it's fascinating to see how the 12 year old protagonist deals with all the challenges.

This is a great book for the YA field, and I can see now why it has a band of rabid young fans who are chomping at the bit for installment number two. The prose is lyrical enough that this would also be a great read-aloud book for families, and has enough interest for adults to be a great selection in a mother-daughter book club.

P.S. Sam, if you're reading this, don't think I missed the nod to Julia and Levi in the names of the students - loved it! <3

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment