Tuesday 10 April 2012

Book Review - Come Home

Come HomeCome Home by Lisa Scottoline
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Do you ever stop being a mother once a child is claimed as your own, even a stepchild?

That is the question that pediatrician Jill Farrow must answer when he inebriated ex-stepdaughter shows up on her doorstep one night, with a story that not only is her father dead, but he has been murdered. Will she put her current family at risk to try to save her former stepdaughter, even if it means risking her relationship with her current fiancee, the mental health of her biological daughter and her own safety?

With no help from her other ex-stepdaughter, Jill sets out on a mission to solve the mystery of her ex-husband's death, in the wake of the vanishing of her troubled ex-stepdaughter. Likening herself to the Dr. Watson of Sherlock Holmes fan, the intrepid doctor takes on thugs and inside-traders alike in this fascinating mystery romp.

There was a time or two I had an issue with suspending my disbelief, mostly regarding the tie-ups of the plot in the second to the last chapter, but overall I found this to be a very readable and approachable book that kept me up late into the night. The author even fooled me a time or two with plot twists, and trust me - that's not easy to do! I'm always pleasantly surprised when a writer can put one over on me, just when I think I've read every twist out there.

If you're a mystery fan, you'll find this a particularly enjoyable read, with some heart-pounding suspense mixed in with the heart-rending drama of a mother doing everything she can to protect and care for the ducklings she has claimed as her own flock.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment